Budget Smoke: Villiger Export Natural

by Jesse on February 19, 2008

VilligerBox I’m still recovering from a cold, and can’t really taste anything at the moment. So I thought share with you on of my favorite quick budget cigars.

Villiger is based in Switzerland and the Villiger Exports are probably something you typically overlook when you walk into a humidor, if they are even kept in the humidor. The Villiger Export is a dry cured cigar so it doesn’t have the storage requirements of your typical cigar. The best thing about these is you can throw them in your car or desk at work and not have to worry about them drying out.

VilligerCigar I’ve only had a chance to try the Natural but I hear the Maduro is the better of the two. The Natural is a smooth mild smoke with a pleasant tobacco flavor. While you won’t see them ever scoring high marks in any magazine they are an enjoyable quick cigar when you don’t have the time for something larger.

Adam Snider February 19, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Hmm…sounds like a nice little cigar, as far as this type of budget cigar goes. I like Jose L Piedra’s—nicknamed the “working man’s cigar,” because apparently they are affordable to the average Cuban—for similar reasons (although, they do need to be stored properly). They’re not an overly complex cigar, but they’re still very nice given (and inexpensive).

I’ll definitely have to ask my tobacconist if they carry these the next time I’m in the shop (assuming, of course, that they’re even available to the Canadian market).

St. Jimbob February 20, 2008 at 4:13 pm

They look familiar, and may be in the B&M’s case with the other tin boxed and flavored cigarillos. I’ll keep an eye out, as to stash a box in my desk at work.

Adam Snider February 20, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Alas, it turns out that this is another line that isn’t available in Canada. I’ll have to ask the guys if they can recommend something similar.

Jesse February 20, 2008 at 5:38 pm

They are made in Europe so I’d be surprised if you can’t get your hands on them.

Adam Snider February 20, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Jesse, I figured, since they’re European, there’d be no way I couldn’t get them. But, from what I can see on their website, they’re available in the US but not Canada. I may be wrong, though. I’ll have to check with the guys at the cigar shop just to be sure.

Scott Blackford October 28, 2008 at 6:22 am

I have smoked Exports occasionally over the last 10 years. Very affordable – but beyond that, they have a wonderful creaminess and excellent aroma. These burn rather quickly – but for pure cigar smoking pleasure they are truly a welcome companion. Great short smoke – presented very nicely as well.

Adam Snider November 17, 2008 at 2:13 pm

I found out recently that my local cigar shop actually DOES carry these, despite the fact that the Villiger website makes it seem like they aren’t available in Canada. Just thought I’d leave that little update.

Joe Bentley November 25, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Great review. I love the Villiger Export Maduro and highly recommend as a quick, flavorful cigar. While of course hardly the best cigar you’ll ever have by a huge margin, they probably do have the greatest dollar to enjoyment ratio of any cigar out there. If you can put aside the natural aversion most any fans of cigars have to budget, machine pressed cigars this a very nice smoke.

It also makes a great beginners cigar and as you said stores well without any real effort, making it a great cigar to stash at your office or such. In fact since happening upon them I’ve mostly stopped bothering with the trouble of transporting my nicer smokes when instead of bothering with travel humidors or cigar tubes I can just throw a few packs of Villigers in my bag.

And at 3.75 for a pack of five you can’t beat it. Are they the best cigar you’ll ever have? Hardly. Are they the best 75 cent cigar you’ll ever have? Almost certainly.

Odd note on the pack of Villager Maduros I have they have a sticker proclaiming them a 9.0 rating from Smoke Magazine.

Robert G December 14, 2008 at 10:58 pm

I have smoked these and really enjoy them as a “working” cigar. The Maduros have an excellent taste, better then some “expensive” hand mades. My cigar shop does not carry them, so I mail order at JR Cigars. Enjoy!

Zefram Sayre November 3, 2009 at 5:56 pm

The Export Maduro was in fact rated 9.0 (excellent) by Smoke Magazine. I am sorry but I have smoked all kinds of cigars for many years, many different Cubans on down and this is a great little cigar regardless of price. And when you consider the price it really blows the others away. Under a dollar, perhaps even 75 cent if you search, against several dollars or more for a comparable smoke. You can get them on the internet from several suppliers. Not many shops carry them and when they do the price goes up a lot.

James Carl July 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I smoke $3-$5 cigars, but I lately I have been coming back to these. The price is right and I like them as much as the more expensive sticks.

PHILIP NEATH August 28, 2011 at 9:22 am

I`VE BEEN SMOKING THESE LITTLE CIGARS FOR AROUND YHE LAST THIRTY YEARS AND YES FOR THE PRICE THERE HARD TO BEAT.