What’s the most expensive cigar you ever bought?

by Daniel on February 26, 2008

Okay, guys. Time to be honest here!

What’s the most you’ve spent on a cigar, and what did you spend it on? What was the occasion? Do you regret spending that much? Were you sober?

I think I probably spent a good $20 on what was (hopefully) some sort of Cuban Cohiba while I was in Toronto. Then again, I don’t really remember…

Bottom line: I’m looking for straight answers here, folks. So confess. If anyone admits to spending over $100 on a single stick, I’ll probably buy you a drink at some point. That is, as long as you have a good story behind it.

dandyman September 14, 2008 at 7:52 pm

For $440, I’m picking up a new guitar or PS3.

THEBIGHOCK November 27, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Partagas 150. Was the best cigar I ever had.

Seanjarhead November 27, 2008 at 9:19 pm

$20.00 on a Cuban H. Upmann Petite Corona while in Cancun. WORTH EVERY DOLLAR!!!! I haven’t found a smoke that’s come close to this yet. Can’t wait to travel abroad to get another one.

Adam Snider November 28, 2008 at 11:42 am

$20 for an H. Upmann sounds a bit high. I think you might have got ripped off a bit, because you were a tourist. Still, they are very good cigars, so I can hardly blame you for paying the money. :)

Josh December 5, 2008 at 3:06 am

The people that buy the 6,000 dollar humidifiers and 2,000 lighters are not the type of people to be posting on websites like this, their time is much more valuable. My dad is one of those people and it is simply because he has the money to spend. Why not live life to the fullest if you have spent 60 years working your ass off? Like someone said earlier, you only live once. I personally plan on taking advantage of all luxuries available if i get lucky enough to do it. As my dad says, “I came from nothing and worked hard for my money so you should have to work for it as well. Everything i have is going to charity. I will pay for your full education and housing until you graduate but then you are on your own.” The big ballas roll deep my friends… and most of them deserve it. There is your answer to WHY

Adam Snider December 5, 2008 at 11:31 am

Hey, the expensive humidors, I understand. There is a humidor/coffee table unit I saw once, and my goal is to one day have that as the centerpiece of my smoking room.

Still, even if you’ve got big $$$, I don’t understand why you’d spend thousands of dollars on a lighter. A lighter is a tool, not a luxury. The cigars are the luxury. Humidors can be pieces of furniture, so they can be luxurious, too. But, lighters? I dunno.

Of course, that’s just my opinion.

Cujo December 17, 2008 at 11:44 am

I bought two Padron 80th Anniversary 1926 Torpedo’s @ $30 each. A friend of mine enjoyed them with me, along side a few snifter glasses of Don Juleo 1942 Tequilla; and it was the most pleasurable experience that either of us ever had smoking a cigar. Most of the smokes I buy are in the $9 – $14 range, but this $30 Padron was worth every penny!

Brad May 1, 2009 at 12:05 pm

haha 420$ on a Altadis’ Behike, there was a death of a family friend who was a huge cigar fan and we split in 2 ways so i spent about 210$. while it was an impressive smoke, i would not pay that money again

a May 11, 2009 at 11:11 pm

my uncle had real cuban cigars in cuba and said they were really good but he has had better in the us

Max May 28, 2009 at 5:33 pm

I know a guy who has a full box of pre-embargo cuban Davidoffs that supposedly go for $25K here in the US. He’s got the certificates and everything. Crazy part is that they aren’t even locked up.

Also

Justin: Your comment was a while ago, so I’m sure its done and over with, but the Opus X is a great smoke. That said, $45 is a bit steep for an Opus though. I picked up a corona size one for 11 bucks. I also picked up another opus which was the second largest smoke I’ve ever had (the first was an Alec Bradely Maxx <– great smoke) and that was only $20.

As far as the most expensive one goes for me, probably that $20 Opus. I was once given a $40 Cohiba from an ex-girlfriend’s dad, thats about it.

Robert June 22, 2009 at 10:16 am

Most expensive cigar I have ever purchased was an Arturo Fuente Between the Lines in a restaurant/indoor humidor in Dallas. It ran me $90 plus tax. No complaints here however, I enjoyed the cigar as a night cap with a glass of X.O.

The Man June 25, 2009 at 3:08 pm

There is a shop here in San Francisco, called Vendetta Mens Apparel and Vintage Cuban Cigars, that sells per-embargo cubans. Most of their cigars are over $100. Im heading over there to buy two.
I dont care about the cost because its for my brother and myself to enjoy for two extremely good reasons. 1. He’s coming back from Iraq (2nd Tour) 2. Has a new son born(not conceived) while he was deployed, who turns 1 when my brother gets back.
So, while we fix my parents roof(no I will not hire illegals to do the work), we will be smokin the stoges. Nothing like fixing my parents roof with my brother and smoking $100+ cigars.
Thats how you stick it to the lazy, non-working, looking for a hand out, social welfare grubbing, tax raising, spread the wealth evenly demanding, its not my fault saying, losers.
The Man

David Vielma July 27, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I am sorry for you..your bitterness drips off your comment, you are definitely not the “Man”. You sound like a sour, disheartened and overworked individual. I respect your family in service to this country and that you may live a great life enjoying a fine cigar with your family. But please, keep your senseless ramblings toward some unfortunate off this website.

smoke show July 28, 2009 at 12:21 am

i bought 1 Gurkha’s His Majesty’s Reserve and it ran me $750 but it was the best i have ever had

seth October 21, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I bought a gurkha his majestys reserve for my birthday last year, 750 usd, it was totally worth it, the taste is undescribale.

Will November 28, 2009 at 1:39 am

I as well bought a gurkha his majesty’s reserve, although i got it just for the hell of it. I was having a campfire that night and i had the money in my account so i thought what the hell, and i bought it. I smoked it that night and it was the best thing i have ever had. I picked up 2 sticks to hold it with so i could smoke it to the end it was so good. I wished that it would never end.

James December 10, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I bought a Fuente Anejo Shark at a casino in Vegas once, it was about $50. It was hands down the best cigar I have ever smoked, but good luck getting them! 2nd place for me a the Ashton ESG, they are great too but not worth the money, depending on the size they are from 20-35 a stick.

Rob January 5, 2010 at 6:41 am

Personally I think 98% of the people here that say they have smoked some of these 400-750$ cigars are full of shit. My personal favorite was a Cohiba Siglo IV, I got them in Germany I was stationed there for three years for 12 euros a piece about 15 usd tried alot of other Cubans but that was the best.

William February 23, 2010 at 9:20 am

First of all I have to say that im from South Africa and the currecy conversions make these cigars seem rediculasly expencive, ive only just started smoking cigars so maybe im just being naieve. I am yet to buy my own the only cigars that ive smoked have been gifts. i just wanted to know what makes one worth $7 and another $700. sorry to sound so stupid on the subject but i am really curious.
im not looking for smart remarks its an honest question

Taylor Hartke March 3, 2010 at 2:14 pm

The most expensive cigar i have bought was a 120$ cigar from cuba

Gypsy John paul May 21, 2010 at 11:19 am

The best I ever had was in fortleh nj
the cigar was a Lars tedden as silly as it may sound
it was called grass but that was the name it was $25 each
big cigar I was making a lot of money so I was buying won every day I wish i knew were I can buy one ?

MAKKI August 27, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I spent $32.00 on an opus x

walt December 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Once in (Kandi) Sri Lanka, in a third class hotel, I was dying for a cigar. The waiter assured me that the manager had….under lock, some fine cigars. I said that my wish was to have one. The man in charge was called from a nearby housing for the hotel staff. The box was opened among several waiters and some guest with great ceremony. I took one…..no name I could recall now. The taste was not bad, but certainlly was not worth the 80 bucks I had to pay with my credit card!!!
Sri Lanka is surely not the place to have a pleasant smoke since the accompaning cognac was simply awful and expensive too.
Right now I am having a Macanudo from Montego & Cia. , not bad at all. Considering the 100% tax on tobacco, any posible smoking joy is dispersed in thin air.

paul February 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I think that anyone who would spend $700 on a cigar is an idiot. There’s no way you can tell me that a $700 dollar cigar tastes any better than a $20 cigar. I also agree with a previous gentlemen who said most of the people on here who claim to have spent hundreds on a cigar are more than likely full of mierda !

Sean March 21, 2011 at 3:30 pm

98.00 on a Partagas 150 Robusto, enjoyed with a glass of Ron Zacapa XO

plume April 17, 2011 at 12:56 pm

i bought a gurkha gran reserve and shaggy maduro and the guy working the register gave me a Black Beauty worth 30 for free because they didnt have any tubes for the shaggy maduro left. That was an interesting expierence, verry nice of the man i must say though, he gave me a stick that was worth more than my entire purchase for free….

Dave July 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I am enjoying a Cuban Cohiba robusto, Given, mind you… to me by a complete stranger at an International Beach Resort last weekend. It generally would run $25.00 to $35.00 dollars per stick IF it were available in the US..! It was creamy and velvety.. so nice.. the guy had a portable humidor that he had trouble opening it was so well made. I enjoyed two thirds last Saturday and enjoying the last third as I comment. Long ashes !