What’s the Cheapest Cigar You Ever Bought?

by Jesse on February 29, 2008

Daniel asked how much you’ve shelled out for a single cigar, but I want to know what’s the least you ever spent on a cigar and was it any good.

stinkie February 29, 2008 at 1:29 pm

I’m afraid to admit this one…. Consuegra #574 from Mike’s closeout, $12.50/25. Not bad. As for a single I picked up a barber pole torp no name from Jungle Jim’s for I think $1.50 and it was dog shit. I think I still have one somewhere.

dandyman February 29, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Other than the many free sticks I get from coworkers, I think the cheapest cigars I ever bought was a Sancho Panza 4-Pack for $12.00. I know it isn’t really all that cheap, but they were quite good.

BigPappa February 29, 2008 at 3:13 pm

That would be a box of Nat Cicco’s Robusto Rejects.

The box of 50 was about $65.00 and they are GREAT! A little problem with plugs and loose tobacco but overall they are awesome.

Adam Snider February 29, 2008 at 4:10 pm

I think I bought one of those dried out back bar things you can get from the convenience store once. It was $2 and, of course, it was awful (as most of those “cigars” are).

The cheapest, PROPER cigar I ever bought was probably…a Jose L Piedra Petit Cazadores, which are about $4 or $5 each (a pack of 5 is $20 or $25…I can’t remember exactly). I actually really like them. They’re not very complex cigars, but they’re nice.

Cigar Inspector February 29, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Not many cheap cigars here in France. I think the least I’ve paid was 2€ for a Guantanamera Cristales. This was the worst cigar I ever smoked.

Ironmeden February 29, 2008 at 4:38 pm

This would be a bundle of 20 sticks of Fighting Cock cigars for $10. I got them at cigarbid.com. 50 cents a stick.

Jesse February 29, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Ironmeden, I’m scared to even ask how those were.

Brian February 29, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Fighting Cock! Excellent. I’ve picked up a few of those in my time too. Depending on my mood, they’re either horrible, or horribly good. (OK, not “horribly” good, but moderately enjoyable.) Very pungent, you really gotta be in the right mood for them. And I think these would also qualify as my cheapest pick up.

Daniel February 29, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Probably a Swisher back in my pre-cigar days…

FNA March 5, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Man, you guys don’t know where to get cheap smokes. I’ve purchased plenty for .20 a piece including Emilio Reyes robustos, Liga IV coronas and Pirate’s Gold No 4 among others.

Jesse March 5, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I’m well aware we can get some stuff cheaper, but some of the stuff I’ve gotten cheaper hasn’t been very enjoyable and I wouldn’t smoke them again. For right now I’ll stick with the FdO’s as my everyday smoke. :)

FNA March 6, 2008 at 10:05 am

“I’m well aware we can get some stuff cheaper”

My mistake. I thought the question was what was the least one had spent on a cigar.

There’s nothing wrong with the smokes I listed, the Emilio Reyes in fact are cigars I would stand up against smokes costing 20 times as much. The Pirates Gold I would only put up against smokes at 1000 to 1500% greater expense. The Liga IVs? Well they can compete with the half-buck cigars – sometimes.

I note you say that some of the smokes that can be gotten cheaper weren’t “very enjoyable”. I have to say, for less than the cost of a cigarette, I don’t demand that my .20 smokes be “very enjoyable”, just that they be a tolerable smoke, providing some modicum of enjoyment. After all, they only cost .20. If I smoke 10 cents worth and it turns foul, I can throw it away without a qualm.

I mean you have got guys saying the cheapest cigar they ever bought was $4 or $5. Over 1/3 of the responses list cigars at $3 or more as the least expensive.

I’m a smoker. I smoke on average 4 or 5 cigars a day. For me, it would be too much to burn $75-100 weekly on cigars (or more, after all, one must smoke some primos too).

There are lots of good, very inexpensive cigars available. Buying them opens the route to buying $22 Davidoff Diademas Finas.

Jesse March 6, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Sorry if I came across as rude, it wasn’t my intention to.

FNA March 7, 2008 at 11:05 am

“Sorry if I came across as rude”

I didn’t see it.

I don’t disagree with people’s comments because I think they are rude – I disagree because I – well, because I disagree. I often list reasons for my disagreement or I may question another’s statements. I may include further discussion of my original premise or I may go afield.

“Sorry if I came across as rude, it wasn’t my intention to.”

Way I look at it is, if one isn’t being intentionally rude and a reader misconstrues comments as rude, the fault lies with the reader and not the innocent speaker.

Further, when I disagree with someone, it is never my intent to be rude, and I do my best to avoid being rude. Unfortunately in today’s touchy feely society, disagreement or counter statement or making what is thought to be a solid well supported argument is often seen as a personal attack or rudeness.

There should never be any question as to whether or not one is being rude. On discussion boards ny philosophy is “Say what you mean; mean what you say.”

Daniel March 7, 2008 at 11:34 am

I’d have no problems spending $.20 a cigar. But if you’re spending that little, I’m surprised you didn’t end up slicing it open…

FNA March 7, 2008 at 1:44 pm

I’ve sliced some open. Gives a better idea of how cigars are built and I don’t want to ‘deconstruct’ premiums. Did you know some use bias wrap for binders and others a straight, full length wrap?

However, since I am one of the few with a particular interest in the construction of cigars, I would want to know why it would surprise if I hadn’t.

Nick Smith March 9, 2008 at 3:00 pm

The cheapest I have found are Dominicana Chicos from Mikes. I have bought them at $18.00 a hundred and they are tolerable and good to give to people who don’t smoke many cigars. They are very mild and not complex but I have smoked worse for more.

FNA March 9, 2008 at 9:58 pm

Are these Chicos “small cigars”?

For me, the name “Chicos” conveys the image of a small cigar and if we are talking small cigars, the gloves come off and we get into the down and dirty cents per piece arena.

FNA March 13, 2008 at 10:29 am

I was just reminded of Magellan Dominican coronas, a CI brand.

These cigars sell for .50 and .60 retail in the bundle, so I know they go cheaper auction.
A nice mild, smooth butning smoke.

Anybody else favor, try, or dislike them?

Daniel March 13, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Haven’t tried ‘em.

Gary August 26, 2009 at 8:41 pm

What difference does it make how much a cigar costs and who likes what kind of cigar? Isn’t it about what “we” like and not what somebody else likes? It makes no sense for somebody to come on here and tell anyone that they don’t know what they are talking about when it comes to cigars. I don’t need to anyone telling me what I like,,I let me taste buds decide that for me. If it’s $1 or even a $15 cigar,,,doesn’t matter as long as I like it.

Ern1911 October 15, 2009 at 1:16 am

Liga IV – I bought a bundle of 50 for like $20.00 I think. They are my “hand outs” at public wide events or for the very non cigar enthusiast. 2 out of 3 are ok to burn, the other third are a hard draw. Very mild cigar, and tastes like assh by the time you ge to the last third.

Bowmeister September 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I scored a 25-pack of La Aurora Principes on cbid for $10–that’s 40 cents a stick, and overwrapped/sealed in plastic. I know, not a true premium cigar, but a nice chocolatey flavor and I can smoke ‘em down about 2/3 of the way before they turn on me.